12.19.2009

Dreams Versus Reality

Have you ever felt like something was over before it started? You ever think that your dreams were attempting to tell you something?

Dreams are strange and mysterious things. Metaphysically, scientifically, psychologically, they're not very understood. Why is it that we all have common occurrences in our dreams? Like, not being able to read something because it makes no sense. Or, how is it we're able to create people and places we've never been or seen in our waking life? Is it that we're able to imagine things based off of our imagination? Or, have we really been to these places before and we just can't remember because maybe it was in a past life? I'm not saying I do or don't believe in past lives, but  it does make you wonder about these characters and settings your unconscious mind formulates. Also, what are these created scenarios attempting to tell us, if trying to tell us anything at all?

It seems as though our own emotions formulate these scenes played out inside our heads. Paranoia for instance is a big one. The night before something really important occurs, us humans tend to dream about everything that could go wrong, does. Or, you worry that you significant other is cheating on you, so you dream about them sleeping with someone else or what have you. It doesn't seem as though our unconscious minds are attempting to warn us so much as attempt to show us our own latent feelings. Because, in our waking life, we may not even be aware of these thoughts we harvest inside, but our dreams are.

Myself, for instance, has a tendency to overanalyze, well, everything. But, even so, I do cover up alot of emotions and thoughts with what I want myself and others to believe. Of course, if you tell a lie enough it begins to becomes truth in a way. We all remember things that happened to us the way we want to remember them. If you're a pathological liar, your whole sham of a life becomes your real story. Same with relationships, sometimes even while they're happening.  Everyone does this, because everyones truth is their own perception. While you're in one position, your mind tells you you're in another, but the other person sees you in a completely different position according to their own perception. But, does that make things we believe lies? Or, does it make it real because that's how we see it? If no one knows the truth, who's to say it did or didn't occur?

Last night, my dream raised up my own paranoia that I was pretty unaware of. The result today is a pit-in-my-stomach kind of worry. Now, I'm completely unsure if this is legitimate delusion, or if it's really what's going on. I attempt to tell myself it's my own brain simply working up my own anxieties, but what if it's not? Does that mean my dream did warn me of something or did my dream just make me aware of my suspicions? I'm also telling myself it's no big deal, and I'm doing my same old over-analyzation. But, it's hard not to be concerned when something occurs that may or may not confirm those negative thoughts.

But, maybe my dream wasn't finished. Maybe I woke up too soon to know how things really are. Maybe my dream was over before it started. And maybe this whole thing ISN'T over before it started.

The mind is a funny thing, as are "lies", "truths", and well, dreams. So, what is reality?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reality is knowing that everything in front of you, around you, and about you are illusory.